The Handsomeness of Randomness

Hey Blog, what it is. I've been fairly busy lately, yet here we are. The final semester (!) is going pretty well, and I'm onto a good start for the second part of my thesis. I've realized a few things and I've created a loose narrative to focus the pieces more. I'm not going to post them yet, as I want a few in the can before I start declaring them "finals". Also, I've taken on a couple of outside projects that will occupying a decent amount of my spare time, but they're well worth it. One of them is a promotional poster for SVA's MFA Illustration Thesis Show in May. Its a large collaborative effort, and difficult to pull off, but the artists involved are so ridiculously talented that I don't see it failing. In fact, I'm usually dumbstruck as to the talent in the room sometimes. I see this as a last group hoorah before we go our separate ways into the ether of commercial art.

Anyway, since I'm not going to show new stuff at the moment, I thought I'd post a few gems that I've overlooked for this blog due to either time constraints or wrongful neglect.


First up is the spec sheet for the Alternative Pick's annual Double Deck that went out to the participating artists last Summer/Fall. Its fairly simple, but I dig the colors. Also, its worth noting that the type for the cards itself changed during the creation process but definitely for the better. On a sidenote, the previous year's version had MUCH more copy. When I put this together, I forgot about the previous year's copy and almost wondered why I had so much room to work with. However, Maria (Altpick's founder) was all about it fortunately, and added only a couple of essential notes. Once again you're a savior Maria!


This is a piece I did for Timeout New York in October. Once again Jeff Quinn gave me an opportunity to expand the pre-existing image into a much larger panel. There's no punchline, and its not funny, but this might be my favorite of the few Photo Finishes I've done. Also, note the presence of newly elected senator Al Franken (I don't know you Norm Coleman, but Al has given the world laughs since before I was born. What have you done?). Please forgive the scan btw, I was looking frantically for the original file but probably deleted it by accident; but for some reason not having the original makes me feel like a real illustrator.


This last piece goes back to '07, when I was on the train heading to the Big Apple Circus. A homeless man had fallen asleep on the train, and his boots left a large pile of dirt on the seat. I thought the image was too powerful to not capture somehow. In hindsight, I truly wish I had woken him up to show him.

Anyway, that's it for now. The new pieces will be up soon, but until then, peace Blog.