All That Jazz

Hi Blog. Last week was INSANE, in the best way possible. I took two buses, 3 cars, and several brisk walks from Newark, NJ to Palm Springs, CA to meet my brother Eric for the first time. It was an amazing trip, and I got to see and do so many things. Eric and his boyfriend Ron were so amazingly cool that we definitely need to hang out again. Also, this is my third time doing the cross country thing, but this was the first time I did it solo. I stopped in Dallas/Houston, TX, Las Vegas, NV, and Diamond Bar/Palm Springs, CA. I spent the largest amounts of time in places where I knew people. I also fit in an illustration for Alpha Magazine immediately upon my return, so it was an extremely productive nine days.

I'll post that Alpha illustration soon, but in the meantime here's some work I did for the tri-state area's best jazz station, the world famous Jazz88 WBGO. Their 30th anniversary is coming up and they needed a new header for their jazz e-newsletter. So, using elements of their existing logo, I created this. I felt that the anniversary was the most important thing, so I made that the main focus, and used their official purple.


So many thanks to Brandy Wood, WBGO's marketing manager, for giving me a call because I have the utmost respect for the quality and integrity of this station, and jumped at the chance to work with them.

Also, because of an initial miscommunication (probably an oops on my part), I actually did concepts for a logo redesign that wasn't intended. I thought I'd show them because I dig them and I liked what I was going for. I tried to stir the logo towards iconography, using fashion of the Blue Note era to evoke the time period. The fedora works the best, as it "sits" on top of the type extremely well, but I do love the idea of a jazz station potentially using a wingtip shoe for their logo.







So that's it for now Blog, I'll post some pics of my trip soon. Later.